I perform the following examinations as initial and follow-up examination:
- visual acuity test
- refraction test, including determining the corneal power and corneal thickness (refractometry).
- intraocular pressure (tonometry), recommended as a precautionary examination from 40 years of age.
- examination of the anterior and posterior segment of the eye.
- In case of necessity, a visual field examination.
- In case of a visual deterioration or visual impairment, it may be necessary to dilate your pupil with eye drops (mydriasis) for a detailed examination of the posterior part of your (retinal exam)
- Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT)
Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT) is an important diagnostic tool for early diagnosis and follow-up of diseases of the central retina (macula) and the optic nerve head (opticus). Using OCT, diseases such as macular degeneration (AMD), epiretinal membranes, vitreomacular traction (VMT) or macular holes and changes in the optic nerve in glaucoma, can be detected early and progression can be prevented or treated accordingly. An OCT examination is non-contact, painless and is not associated with any side effects.
In addition to OCT for screening and follow-up of glaucoma, I also offer the required visual field test in my practice. Glaucoma damages or other causes of visual field limitations can be detected early and can be monitored, also contactless and painless. In addition, a visual field test is required for blepharoplasty (surgery of droopy eyelids) to get approval for this procedure from your insurance company. I can immediately explain the results of both diagnostic tools you don’t have to come for an additional appointment or have this done at a hospital.
When making an appointment, please mention if you need an OCT or a visual field test for glaucoma diagnosis. These examinations need a little more time and we will take this into consideration to avoid waiting times.
Please plan for an initial examination to last about 45 minutes.
Since at the initial examination a pupil dilation (mydriasis) is usually required, we ask you for the duration of this dilation (mostly about 4 hours) not to actively participate in road traffic.
In cases of emergency or questions you can contact me at my medical practice (even outside of office hours), requests will quickly be forwarded to me personally. Moreover, you are welcome to contact me via e-mail.